Paths Rules 3.0
Base Mechanics for PVP and PVE
What’s a hero deck made up of?
There must be 30 cards in a deck in order to make gameplay legal.
- You may only have 2 of the same card name in a deck.
- You may only use Spells that are related to your Hero and Hero Class in your deck.
- You may use Equipment cards that are related to your Hero and Hero Class in your deck.
- You may use Minions that are related to your Hero and Heroes faction in your deck. You may also use Neutral Factioned minions in any faction.
The three factions: The Kin Sworn, The Society, and The Reformists are the main three factions in Paths. However, there is a Neutral faction that may be used in any deck.
Some Heroes may also be a part of a Neutral faction, but you may not use other faction cards in a neutral hero deck. Only neutral faction cards.
- Heroes may only use their abilities during their turn unless hero ability says otherwise.
- Hero Abilities may only be casted once per turn. For example if you have 2 hero abilities and have the spirit to cast both, you may. However, you may not cast them again during the same player turn.
Attacking with Equipment
Heroes with equipment may attack once per turn, like minions.
Retaliation: Whenever a Hero attacks a Minion with a weapon, both will deal damage to one another. If a Hero has a weapon, a hero will also deal retaliation damage based on weapon damage, when attacked. If a Boss has a weapon, a boss will also deal retaliation damage based on weapon damage, when attacked.
Declare attacks with your minion on either opposing minions, bosses, or heroes. Remember, Retaliation is applied when attacking. See Retaliation.
When Damage is dealt, it remains on the minion or hero until healed.
If spirit is spent to play a spell, and a spell is dispelled immediately by a rapid, you may not gain back the spirit you just spent to cast your spell. Your spirit will replenish back to 10 at the start of your turn.
Rapid Spells may be played during your turn, during another player’s turn, or during an enemy boss turn.
A Constant remains in play until the card using a constant ability is discarded.
Attacking player declares attacks. Provoking minion can choose to provoke minion attacking.
Can absorb (x) magic per round. X is equal to value that is on the card description.
Alert minions may act on the same turn summoned.
Contact with this minion causes (x) DoT. X is equal to value that is on the card description.
When this minion damages the enemy hero directly, draw (x) cards. X is equal to value that is on the card description.
Minions can’t be damaged by spells or constants
When minion is put into play, do X. X is equal to value or objective that is on the card description.
When minion dies, do X. X is equal to value or objective that is on the card description.
Equipment may be attached to hero during your turn.
Non-set equipment is equipment that does not have and special set bonuses given to the player when gear is attached to the hero.
Gear set Equipment
Gear Set equipment is equipment that does have special set bonuses given to the player when gear is attached to the hero when 2 or more piece of the same set are attached.
Each player starts off with 5 blue spirit, as permanent spirit that stays with the hero that they may choose to spend it on casting spells, abilities, playing minions, or attaching equipment cards. At the beginning of your turn, your spent blue spirit will replenish back to 5.
Blue Spirit Cost cards require only Blue Spirit to play.
Red Spirit is temporary spirit that is not replenished, and is removed from the start of the player’s next turn. Red Spirit may be obtained through playable cards from the hero deck, or from the Loot Card deck.
Red Spirit Cost cards require only Red Spirit to play.
Combined Spirit Cost allows you to use both red and blue spirit to play a card.
Hero abilities will always be able to use a combination of both red and blue spirit.
The Story Card deck consists of 20 Cards that both players will draw from. A story card is flipped over whenever a player rolls a “6” on their Red spirit dice roll during their turn.
When the Story Card Deck is depleted, take the discarded cards and shuffle them back into the deck for continued play, except for story cards ( unless the card says otherwise ).
Unlike Hero Decks, Story Cards have no name limit.
A boss will always go first, and the next player with the highest roll will always go second, descending in highest to lowest roll order.
A boss will always scale up, adding +30 health to their base health pool for each player added to the encounter.
Every boss has different mechanics, but will ultimately be played through dice rolls on their Spell Table card, and through mechanics on the cards during their turn. Each player may take turns rolling for the boss, as none of the players are playing as the boss, since the boss has been specifically created to be a form of a Non Player Character.
Boss encounters may have 1 – 6 players. That’s right! You can play against a boss solo if you wish!
All boss minions always attack, starting on the farthest most left hero or minion on the battlefield, working their way down the line from left to right. Each boss minion may only attack once per turn. Remember, Retaliation is applied when attacking. See Retaliation.
Each player draws 4 cards. Each player rolls one D6, and the player with the higher number goes first, and with the lowest number going last. If two players have rolled the same number, they must reroll to see which one of them goes first.
If this is a boss encounter, the boss will always go first, and then players in descending order.
PVP Hero Setup
PVP: Player vs Player Setup
PVE Setup (Boss Encounter)
PVE Hero Setup
Boss Encounter: 2+ Players
Basic Gameplay Phases – Round
This is a guide that will help through gameplay phases of a round.
- Round Starts with First Player and ends with last player.
Basic Gameplay Phases – Player Turn
This is a guide that will help through gameplay phases of a player’s turn.
- Replenish Blue Spirit to 5
- Roll 1D6 for the Red Spirit that will be added to your spirit pool this turn.
- Remove temporary red spirit from last turn.
- If 6 is rolled on dice, flip Story Card and follow rules on story card.
- Upkeep – All DoTs and HoTs go off, and constant triggers (need to be accounted for)
- Draw a card from Hero Deck
- Main phase 1: Play minion, spell, item, or weapon.
- Battle Declarations – Attack phase: Heroes may cast their abilities or attack, and minions may attack.
- Response phase: Defender plays reactive spells/abilities, mechanics like provoke trigger now.
- Opponent player may dispel or defend themselves with Rapid’s or Special Card mechanics. Do any special card mechanics that are in play.
- Final calculation of damage done by spell cards, hero spells, and/or minions to both parties. Make sure Hero spirit ,Hero Health, and Minion health pool calculations are correct for both parties.
- Chance to play more spells, abilities, summons
- Player turn over.